When it comes to Southeast Asia countries, Vietnam is easily my favorite pick. Once a lesser-known destination, it has become more and more popular among tourists in recent years. With its beautiful nature and cultural diversity, Vietnam attracted 10 million visitors in 2016, an increase of 26.0% from 2015. Here's the Best Vietnam Travel Guide for you to explore this beautiful country.
From the peaceful rice valleys of Sapa in Northern Vietnam stretching to the bustling city of the Ho Chi Minh in the south, Vietnam is home to a wealth of attractions and amazing cuisine that will attract both budget and luxury seeking travelers.
And you know what's the best? You can easily travel in a luxury style with a very smart budget. During my 2 weeks trip around the whole Vietnam, I only spent less than $1500 USD. This budget allowed me to have very good local food, sleep in good hotels, and try out different kinds of awesome activities!
Best Vietnam Travel Guide - Quick Tips
- Currency: Vietnam Dong (click here for current conversion rates)
- Visa: Many countries have Visa exemption between 15-30 days. You can check out whether you’re the lucky one here. If you need to apply for a Visa, the best method is to apply online.
- Safety: It’s generally very safe to travel in the Northern and Central Vietnam. However, as it gets to the South, things become trickier and people are more cunning. Be careful of thieves in Mui Ne and Ho Chi Minh.
- Climate: Depends on region. Summer is extremely hot and humid, while winter is rather cooling.
- Best SIM cards: There are four Telco companies in Vietnam and all of them offer similar services and pricings. A 5GB/30 day package cost 100,000 VND (around $5 USD). However, I still recommend Viettel as it has the largest network and most customers, closely followed by Vinaphone. Avoid Mobifone and Vietnamobile if you’re heading off the beaten track.